those funky little salamanders!

warrena at bcc.orst.edu warrena at bcc.orst.edu
Tue Nov 27 22:16:52 EST 2001

Sorry, I totally messed up the details in my earlier
post.  According to Behler & King (1979), The Audobon
Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and
Amphibians, pp. 291-292:

"In the past, Jefferson [Amblystoma jeffersonianum] and
Blue-spotted [Amblystoma laterale] salamanders
interbred and created two hybrid all-female species -
the Silvery (Amblystoma platineum) and Tremblay's
(Amblystoma tremblayi). Jefferson males breed with
Silvery Females.  The male's sperm only stimulates egg
development; its genetic material is not
contributed....  Blue Spotted males breed with
Tremblay's females.  The male's sperm only stimulates
egg development; its genetic material is not
contributed."

Now how wierd is this?  Think about the taxonomy of the
Jefferson and Tremblay's salamanders (ie. are these
species?) under various species concepts and it could
make your brain hurt...

Andy Warren