subspecies standards

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Wed Nov 28 11:31:26 EST 2001

Hi all,
A time ago, back when I was in high school and before political
correctness ran rampant, I distinctly remember our biology textbook
discussing human evolution and it was the only place I had seen
mention of human subspecies or "races".  There were five.
Caucasoid(generally white/Euro descent), Negroid(black/African
descent), Mongoloid(East Asian descent) and two others seldom
mentioned, the Bushmen of the Kahlahari(sp?) who were not considered
negroid, and the Aboriginese of Australia.  Apparently, these groups
all had significant distinctions that set them apart but still all
equal as humans.  Like Erik, I'm not trying to start any wars (peace
:-), just state what I remember from a textbook which was probably
printed in the late 70's to early 80's.  Anyone else remember such a
classification?  I apologize for this being "in thread" but "off
leps".  Wait, I can fix that!

Field report:
Haven't seen a lep for roughly a week as it's been cold and it's
pouring felines and canines. We are getting much needed rain and
snow, though. I did see a micro land on my car window while driving
last week.  As I sped up, he slowly walked around in a circle and
stopped when faced into the wind.  Hung on up to 50mph!  Then I let
it off at the next light as it flew away.

Cheers,  Rich
on a very blustery day in the PNW

and Ron wrote: (snip)

>.....  At the same time we know that the term
>"races" has been and is in use widely.  You used it yourself - "Caucasian".
>So as long as we say/place people in three "racial" grouping that is
>acceptable (though not very politically correct).  Why - as the term race
>is not acceptable as a zoological technical term.   It is because  "the
>Caucasian subspecies"  is totally taboo because it is a utterly politically
>incorrect phrase - and not because it is an inaccurate zoological term.  In
>the realm of nomenclature "subspecies" only exists on paper as a term of
>placement in a tree diagram or ladder sub-sequent in a listing.  Outside of
>nomenclature none of _our_ rankings terms have meaning or even existance.
>
>..... In fact once really, really, understood we might actually want
>the terminology as
>it points to us all being total equals and totally one - yet proudly
>"racially" (subspecifically) unique.  A diverse yet unified people of
>earth.

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division