Caterpillar found with hides

Julie Stahlhut starbug_56 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 16:43:04 EDT 2001

Hey, all ...

I'm trying to ID some small caterpillars that a FOAF retrieved from a
package containing animal-hide products.  They're definitely lep
larvae -- small white caterpillars ranging from about 6 to 10 mm long,
with brown, well-sclerotized heads.   They've been somewhat desiccated
and flattened out in transit, and I can't find the spiracles at all
under a dissecting microscope, which makes keying them out difficult.

They have well developed true legs.  Prolegs are present on A3-A6 and
A10.  I can't see the A10 pair too well because the bodies are too
crumpled, but the ventral prolegs have crochets in a lateropenellipse.
  Crochets look uniordinal to me.

If anyone knows of a caterpillar fitting this description and likely
to be found among animal hides, I'd appreciate your letting me know!

Thanks,
Julie Stahlhut