Ethyl acetate or ether?

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Mon Oct 8 19:55:27 EDT 2001

Listers,

	Most of the time I agree with Leroy, but a word of caution about
use of ethyl acetate or ether as a fumigant/repellant.  Both can
dissolve/mobilize fat body in specimens and cause them to grease.
You can, of course, remove grease from specimens by inundating
them in a good fat solvent, such as acetone or xylene, but some
specimens, particularly those with green coloration are completely
ruined by greasing -- you cannot restore the color.  I lost several
specimens of Miracavira brillians simply because they were killed
in an ethyl acetate containing light trap, field-mounted and left them
in a drawer with a bunch of other ethyl-acetate killed specimens.
Slowly over time most of these specimens were rendered
greenless.

	Just my two cents worth.

	James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/  (Georgia Lepidoptera)
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"