naptha ruins metal - ?

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Mon Oct 8 19:28:29 EDT 2001

>Naphtha is a mild corrosive and will remove paint, plating and accelerate
>rust by increasing oxidation? Many a museum curator has placed naphtha
>crystals in the fumigant pocket on the door of a museum storage cabinet,
>only to have it eat through the door after an extended period of time.

I think we might be talking about different chemicals.  The naptha I mean
is a liquid similar to paint thinner, a light solvent which contains
benzene and toluol, according to the container.   Is this the same thing as
the moth crystal naptha?

>I am sure that there are other chemicals/solvents that are much safer to
>use when degreasing.

Naptha is what I was recommended to use by someone who has done thousands
of moths.   It does indeed dissolve the grease out of the specimens
beautifully.  In the past thread, people also recommended acetone and dry
cleaning fluid as degreasers.  I have not tried these yet.  None of these
things are particularly benign, I'm afraid.

Liz