naptha ruins metal - ?

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 17:11:42 EDT 2001

Naphtha is one of the ingredients in napalm. The stuff that the military
would like to dump on old Osama.

Naphtha is a mild corrosive and will remove paint, plating and accelerate
rust by increasing oxidation? Many a museum curator has placed naphtha
crystals in the fumigant pocket on the door of a museum storage cabinet, only
to have it eat through the door after an extended period of time.

Not only will it effect metal, the stuff burns real good!

Use ethyl acetate or ether. It works for me!

I am sure that there are other chemicals/solvents that are much safer to use
when degreasing.

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road