FW: Warbler-killing Moth in Gulf of Mexico

O.G. Marti, Jr. omarti at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu
Tue Oct 9 08:56:48 EDT 2001

I can't venture a guess as to the identity of the moth, but the "hairy" body of
the moth suggests the possibility that urticarial hairs were responsible for
the reaction of the bird. In French Guiana, there is a moth, Hylesia
metabus, which possesses urticarial hairs. This particular species was
causing problems among workers at the French rocket launching site at
Kourou.  A grad student was hired to investigate the biology of the moth
and he was working on that project when I was in French Guiana in 1987.
O.G. Marti, Jr.

> Would appreciate any ideas on what this Moth may have been.
> Thanks, Mike Quinn

Orville G. Marti, Jr., Microbiologist
USDA, ARS, IBPMRL
PO Box 748