WAS web visitors?

Mike Soukup mikayak3 at home.net
Wed Oct 17 18:52:50 EDT 2001

Just to throw a wrench into everything, I decided to post a field report
so as to, basically, be ornery - and make the discussion about post-lep
season leplessness a little more lepful.

Last week I went to key Largo Florida for some Scuba diving (which I
didn't get to do much of as the winds were too strong and nobody was
going out).  However, I did set up my lights and each morning would
visit the local Circle K's , Tom Thumb's and the REAL nice lights at the
new Fire station at Mile Marker 99.  It was not as good as last year.
However, I was still pleasantly suprised at my catch  Oh, and BTW, I saw
VERY few butterflies....a few giants, some sulpher-type things, and one
or two Gulf Frits....nothing else.

As for the moths......

Cocytius antaeus - 1 female (first one for me in this country)
Errinyis ello - about 20 or so (most common moth I saw)
Errinyis obscura - 1
Madoryx pseudothereus - 2
Enyo lugubris - 8
Xylophanes pluto - 3
Cautethia grotei - 2
Automeris io - 1 REALLY small male.....almost doesn't look like an io at
all.  Nor
    does it really look like the other io's (lilith?) that I have caught
previously.  I
    didn't even think it was an io until I saw it's hind wing!
Lymire edwardsii - 6
Halysidota tesselaris (I think) - 5
Melipotis sp. (I'll probably need help with this ID) - 1
A very cool, sleek "underwing"-like noctuid that I have seen previously
in Costa Rica....but don't know it's name. - 1
A Megalopygidae that looks like Megalopyge opercularis...but a hair
smaller (are there any others in Fla?? - not Lagoa crispata either)

That's about it.  There were a few Pyralids and some smaller
Noctuids....but I probably won't be able to ID them even after they are
mounted!!!

If anybody wants photos, let me know.  I have a new ISP (cable modem!!!)
and I SHOULD be able to put stuff up on my web site - as soon as I
figger out where it is and how to do it!!!  Oh yeah, I guess I need to
mount them first..... (sigh)

Thanks