A Neil correction

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sat Oct 20 04:26:22 EDT 2001

Neil Jones wrote:

snip

> I don't dig at people personally. I post logical evidence to show that
> their ideas are badly constructed.

snip

> If you can prove me wrong by logic do so...

snip

> A brief examination of the record shows you [Ron] have had something
negative to
> say about them [naba] around 50 times in the last year. Your comments are
> hardly moderate.  "Spies" and "unamerican" are two words I recall
vividly.
> In fact your attacks on butterfly watching got you thrown off one list.

Facts on what Neil just said.  The spies and un-American stuff was in
relation to my post on the Leps-L subscribers who do not appear on the
Leps-L list of subscribers.  They are secret subscribers.  That was so long
ago that is about all I remember.  My recollection is that I asked why
someone would do this (spy).  In the end I think someone pointed out that I
had actually read the  -not listed names-  thing wrong and that there were
no such people on Leps-L and I was just confused by the wording.  I have no
recollection of that having anything to do with naba. Unlike Neil I do not
keep files and statistics on everyone.  I delete almost everything posted
here  within a few days. I don't even have any interest in going back and
trying to find exact quotes etc on the archives.

Next, I was unsubscribed to the Southwest Leps group for about 24 hours by
the list owner for cross posting the "why mitoura" post I first posted
here.  That was a systematic issue in response to a question as to why
Mitoura was not used in B. of Canada.  It had nothing to do with butterfly
watching or attacks on it.   I have never ever attacked butterfly
watching - I do so myself and think it is great.  (In fact, I don't know of
anyone who has ever attacked that activity.) But if I do not respond to
this misinformation of Neil's everyone who reads his post would sure think
I am against it.  I was reinstated on Southwest leps and am still
subscribed because a  number of people emailed the owner to say he was
wrong in kicking me off.  He emailed me to come back and also posted to the
whole group that he had made a mistake.

A couple weeks prior to this the owner was upset with my post on how I
objected to butterflies in butterfly zoos which was also a cross post from
here (the butterflies behaving badly thread).  He rebuked me for that post
as at some point in it I pointed out the irony of a collector (me)
objecting to leps being taken from the wild into unnatural zoos while most
watchers like butterfly zoos.  That post had nothing to do with watching
vs. collecting or the to or not to collect argument.

In Neil's statement:  "In fact your attacks on butterfly watching got you
thrown off one list."  I don't see a total falsehood.  I see a very
craftily worded half truth for the purpose of sending the reader off to a
totally false conclusion.   Jury, ask this question.  If Neil keeps so
close a track on things (me) that he knows my son-in-law is Joe and our
webmaster, that I posted about 50 times on naba, and that I was kicked off
a list.  Don't you think he is also perfectly well aware that the owner of
the list I was kicked off for 24 hours,  apologized to that group publicly
and reinstated me himself (with my permission)?  Why would he not also tell
us _that_ ?  What kind of person will print in front page headlines that
someone was arrested - but when that individual is found innocent it is at
most a footnote on the back page?  Does Neil want us to think he is
oblivious when it suits him and brilliant " I do my research" when that
suits him?   I think Neil is more shrewd than intelligent.  My apologies to
those who think highly of Neil I have not intended to offend you.

Ron Gatrelle

PS  Most are probably deleting this string of posts because it is either
stupid or revolting to them.  If Neil or whoever posts more on this I shall
try very hard to spare others a continuation and just let it go.  A good
proverb.  "Don't often give explanations as your friends don't need one and
your enemies will not believe you any way."