Chrysalis vs. pupa

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Mon Oct 22 10:20:06 EDT 2001

Just a simple question, maybe I should know the answer but I don't.
When the last instar of a dragonfly larva climbs up on a rock and
emerges the exoskeleton it leaves behind has a technical term: Exuivae.
When a adult butterfly, let's say a Monach, emerges and flies away what
has it left behind?
How about a Prometheus moth? What does it leave behind?

It's like a letter. When the postman delivers a letter and you have it
in hand you say, "Hey I got a letter" holding the object up. But what's
in your hand is actually a letter AND an envelope. The letter is what's
inside. We say "letter" for both for convenience.   So it is with
chrysalis, cocoon, pupa IMHO. There's always a pupa inside, it's the
envelope that gets a special term.
                                                                  Bill
Yule with the same $.02 said a little differently.