Chrysalis vs. pupa

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 22 13:20:52 EDT 2001

Bill,
    Exuviae is correct, it is plural because it is often in pieces. It is
the shed cuticle or outer deposits of the epidermis (skin), and consists
mostly of chitin and wax.
    I have never heard the eggshell referred to as exuviae. The shed skins
of both larval stages and pupa are exuviae.
    Think of the individual insect as your letter which is capable of
maturing a series of "envelopes", much like one of those nested Russian
dolls. Each envelope is however a little larger than the one before,
permitting the insect to increase in size within a carefully creased and
folded exoskeleton. Think also of a tree. The outer bark splits as the tree
grows, exposing the younger bark beneath.
    Chrysalis and pupa are equivalent, but cocoon is of manufactured silk,
glued bits of the environment or both, as constructed by the pre-pupal
larva. Some larvae do this too, like bagworms (psychid moths) and caddis
flies that construct larval cases.
...................Chris Durden