MR. Clench

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Mon Oct 22 13:12:11 EDT 2001

Both Chris Durden and Ken Philip recently posted that one of the
influencers (mentors?) in their entomological lives was Mr. Harry Clench.
He was very influential in my development as a taxonomist.  And a great
many others on this list and elsewhere will say dittos.

Harry never did get around to getting a PhD.  It didn't matter to anyone I
know.  His expertise was not based on a piece of paper it was based on what
he knew - both learned and discovered.

In age, Harry was younger then Ken and Chris and older than I.  Yet he
influenced all.  There are very few today who work with butterflies of his
caliber in my opinion.  A couple I can think of we don't hear much from
anymore.  Cliff Ferris is one who comes to mind. I hear he is dealing
mostly with moths now, and because of past flaming no longer has an
interest in publishing his understandings of butterfly systematics ( ? ) If
so, too bad for the rest of us.

Ron Gatrelle