insect pins and airport security

Ryan rvandermoor at home.com
Tue Oct 23 23:01:52 EDT 2001

I believe I missed the original post so this may be way off topic, but if
its any interest to anyone, I recently brought about 150 pinned specimens,
and another 300 or so papered specimens from SE Arizona to Vancouver, BC. I
traveled via greyhound. but had no problems at greyhound security
checkpoints, or the US/Canadian border.
I called customs ahead of time and as per request supplied the border guard
with a list of species as well as the number of each, accompanied by my full
contact information and the reason for collection (private) Their only
concern was species listed by CITES and live specimens, which of course I
had none of either.
I have also traveled numerous times in the past with pinned specimens,
although all within Canadian borders and never had a problem.

Ryan Vandermoor
Coquitlam, British Columbia
Canada
rvandermoor at home.com