Forward of Monarch question

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Wed Oct 24 01:39:28 EDT 2001

I am below forwarding a post that was sent to carolina-leps.  I asked Gary
if I could send it over here as there would likely be more Monarch
"experts" here.  He said sure. He and I are both interested in just what
mirgrating Monarchs do at night.  We both assume they roost.  However, has
anyone ever done a study to see if any do migrate at night?  Since he is
not on Leps-l, send a copy to him at walela at sccoast.net if you post here on
this.
Ron

__________________________

Hi y'all,
    Let me say this so I can ask a question or two. While on the front
porch
a few minutes ago (23:15) listening for feathered migrants, a very pristine
Monarch flew up and lighted on the brick near the front door, then took
flight again and attempted to go thru this obstacle in its path. When it
next perched, I was able to pick it up (yes, I've been instructed in the
proper way to hold them) and we examined one another more closely. I took
it
out into the yard to release it, and it headed back to the same point near
one of the porch lights. I apprehended it again, turned out the lights, and
placed it on a leaf of a shrub near the corner of the house where it
perched, occasionally moving its wings.
    I wrote all of that to ask this; do Monarchs (or any other butterflies)
migrate at night? If so, does anyone know to what degree they are affected
by artificial lighting?
    Please keep in mind that I'm a bird-oriented person (shock, horror)
who's just a bit more than slightly curious about Leps, so any info would
be
appreciated.
    The Zebra longwing was still here this a.m.

Thanks for any response,
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela at sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")