Fall surprise

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Oct 30 19:43:23 EST 2001

Cross-posted greetings
The other day I posted on keeping an eye out post this cold front for
Monarchs we might see here in the Carolinas and what they were up to .
Well today when I went out to get the mail I noticed that the Pansies I
planted along the edge of the drive way needed some water.  Which led to
watering some of the various Asters that are in or ready to come in bloom.
Well out by the street among some of the asters and a couple Pansies is an
A. tuberosa plant.  It is in its third year from a seed.  After it bloomed
the second time I cut it back again before it went to seed.  It has greened
up a third time long after all the others in the garden are now dried up
sticks.

By now you have probably guessed that I found Monarch larvae on this medium
sized Butterfly weed.  There are five almost fully grown larvae on it.
Last night the news paper said it got down to 34 at the Charleston airport
(but only 49 downtown).  Either way it was nippy.  It is to get down to 50
tonight -- it was around 72 today and is forecast to get to 74 tomorrow.
They were all busy devouring leaves and stems at 4:30 when we last checked.
I'll keep everyone posted on how they do. OH! these are the only Monarch
larvae we have seen on the yard plants all year -- at least that I
remember.

Ron