Economy Class Curatorial Award

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 4 14:44:14 EDT 2001

Alas, if you let the refrigerator companies know your intention, they'll
charge you extra for taking out the compressors.  Better stick with your
roadside treasures.

Mike Gochfeld

Bill Cornelius wrote:

> Alas, another invention undone, but I'm gratified. I'd bet that refrigerator
> manufacturers would make up a short run without all the compressors, etc. for
> even less. I was making a salmon smoker from one found on the side of the
> road; (Jeez! & people just throw these things away...). Land fills charge to
> take them, an add in the paper (with minimum dimensions) would give one a
> choice.
>
> Bill
>
> John Shuey wrote:
>
> > I know this is in jest (at least partially), but I've actually seen this
> > done for a personal collection here in Indiana. Ernie Shull (author of the
> > Butterflies of Indiana) explained to me that new refrigerators are cheaper
> > than cabinets, in fact about 1/3rd the price. So he has his refrigerators
> > lined up in the basement (energy efficiency stickers still attached) full
> > of insects. I'm reasonably sure none of these units have ever been plugged
> > in.
> >
> > John Shuey
> >
> > Bill Cornelius wrote:
> >
> > > Hi:
> > > The following is my semi-fatuous submission for this years Economy Class
> > > Curatorial Award:
> > >
> > > Are you tired of having to maintain a constant humidity for the entire
> > > basement?
> > >
> > > Are you tired of the rising cost of metal cabinets?
> > >
> > > Does your Board of Trustees wince when you give your quarterly report?
> > >
> > > Try ÒUsed RefrigeratorsÓ! They have those bug proof magnetic gasket
> > > doors. TheyÕre cheap or free, pull out the guts & a little tub caulking
> > > or Bondo on the various flashings will make them bug proof, & they can
> > > be linked in series or parallel with flexible conduit or stovepipe to a
> > > single small dehumidifier. They also come in assorted colors to take
> > > that tired grey-green curse off the storage room. (a few pictures of
> > > kitties & duckies on the doors helps too).
> > >
> > > So if YOUR board of trustees moans every time you ask for more storage,
> > > Tell them about ÒUsed RefrigeratorsÓ and be ready for the applause!
> > >
> > > Another advantage is that the interiors usually have room left over for
> > > LARGE trays of silica gel, the summer storage of your winter woolens, or
> > > for other nighttime projects. (ask about my recipe for Museum Jerky,
> > > regular Napthalene flavor or new Classic Natron)
> > >
> > > Bill
> > >
> > > PS: the interior plastic is affected by napthalene, (if you use it), but
> > > enameled tin liners w/ plywood doorskin to replace the trim works arn't.

> > > http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl

> >  http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl

Michael Gochfeld, MD, PhD
Professor of Environmental and Community Medicine
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and
Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
170 Frelinghuysen Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854  USA
732-445-0123 X627  fax 732-445-0130