another trash name

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Mon Sep 10 16:26:01 EDT 2001

Excellent point. Some people think that more data and better phylogenies
will put to bed the differing interpretations about where to draw the
genus/subgenus and species/subspecies line. Here we have a case where we
have excellent data and what looks to me like a pretty darn good phylogeny.
BUT we can all still examine this information and draw completely different
taxonomic rank interpretations. By way of example we can treat these as one
genus as outlined below. We can also have numerous finely divided genera.
Thirdly we can use the subgenus category and for example treat Aglais as a
subgenus of Nymphalis. Probably one can construct even other rank
interpretations. I for one prefer to keep genus names to a minimum because
they are an obligatory category. This still leaves the subgenus rank
available for those who wish to communicate finer distinctions that the
majority of people probably do not care about. Natural groups are a useful
concept but there certainly is no requirement that all natural groups have a
formal name in the name heirarchy. The eternal question in all these matters
is: How big (or small) do we build that corral before we put the butterflies
into it :-) and regardless of the size, do we need to put a formal name on
the corral ??