another trash name

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:12:57 EDT 2001

For years I had used *l-album*, based on the statement in Langer, 1958
(Nordens Dagsommerfugle. Copenhagen) that *vau-album* ad been found to be a
nomen nudum. I switched to *vau-album* when Miller & Brown, 1981 (A
Catalogue/Checklist of the Butterflies of America North of Mexico. Lep.
Soc. Mem. 2) chose to use *vau-album*. I assumed they had re-evaluated the
original sources and had come to the conclusion that it was technically not
a nomen nudum. They did not present details and do not mention *l-album*.
Perhaps they followed Higgins, 1975 (The Classification of European
Butterflies. London. Collins) who choses to use *vau-album*, without
presenting reasoning. Kudrna, 1986 (Butterflies of Europe. V. 8. Wiesbaden,
AULA) uses *l-album* without presenting the reason. This flip-flop history
indicates the importance of examining original sources - becoming more and
more difficult as our libraries move them into deep storage or dispose of
them as no longer relevant to modern research.
............Chris Durden