New photo database/unidentified leps

James Kruse fnjjk1 at uaf.edu
Wed Sep 19 17:36:54 EDT 2001

on 9/19/01 9:09 AM, Bill Cornelius at billcor at mail.mcn.org wrote:

> Dave:
>
> I get some from Nigeria too occasionally I followed one up to where they
> wanted to meet me in Canada because they couldn't get a visa to the US. With
> all that money & political contacts, I doubt that was the reason. If they are
> so altruistic & honorable, why not invest the millions in some kind of
> Nigerian employment company like a conservation corp.? I sent one letter to
> the internet fraud website and they never answered, but I don't know why. it
> was either because: 1) the money is real, 2) I wasn't defrauded, 3) their scam
> analyst had seen it so many times he just glossed it over, or 4) he picked it
> up & is now retired in Bermuda.
>
> Bill

This scam has been around for awhile. Here is some information.

From: http://www.scambusters.com/Scambusters11.html

Internet ScamBustersTM By Audri and Jim Lanford WZ.com Inc. Copyright 1996
WZ.com Inc. Issue #11 November 27, 1996

SCAM: The Nigerian Advance Fee Scheme

The Nigerian Advance Fee Scam has been around for quite awhile, but despite
many warnings, continues to draw in many victims. In fact, the Financial
Crimes Division of the Secret Service receives approximately 100 telephone
calls from victims/ potential victims and 300-500 pieces of related
correspondence per day about this scam!

Indications are that the advance fee fraud grosses hundreds of millions of
dollars annually and the losses are continuing to escalate.

The Nigerian Advance Fee Scheme (also known internationally as "4-1-9" fraud
after the section of the Nigerian penal code which addresses fraud schemes)
is generally targeted at small and medium sized businesses, as well as
charities. This global scam (recently seen in Russia, Southeast Asia,
Australia, and New Zealand, as well as the US) involves the receipt of an
unsolicited letter purporting to come from someone who claims to work for
the Nigerian Central Bank or from the Nigerian government. (The Central Bank
of Nigeria denies all connection to those who promote this scheme.)

In the letter, a Nigerian claiming to be a senior civil servant will inform
the recipient that he is seeking a reputable foreign company into whose
account he can deposit funds ranging from $10-$60 million which the Nigerian
government overpaid on some procurement contract.

The goal of the scam artist is to delude the victim into thinking that he or
she has been singled out to participate in a very lucrative -- although
questionable -- arrangement. The intended victim is reassured of the
authenticity of the arrangement by forged or false documents bearing
apparently official Nigerian government letterhead, seals, as well as false
letters of credit, payment schedules and bank drafts. The scam artist may
even establish the credibility of his contacts, and thereby his influence,
by arranging a meeting between the victim and "government officials" in real
or fake government offices.

Once the victim becomes confident of the potential success of the deal,
something goes wrong. The victim is then pressured or threatened to provide
one or more large sums of money to save the venture. For example, an
official will demand an up-front bribe or an unforeseen tax or fee to the
Nigerian government will have to be paid before the money can be
transferred. Each fee paid is described as the very last fee required. The
scheme may be stretched out over many months.

Here is a sample of a letter a victim may receive:

(Note: The letter that is sent is all in capital letters.)

Lagos, Nigeria.

Attention: The President/CEO

Dear Sir,

Confidential Business Proposal

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered
from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to
request for your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty
seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your
accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed
commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor.
This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a
suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come
in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden
to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The
total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for
local and international expenses incident to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). If you find this proposal
acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers -- for confidentiality and easy
communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your
letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what
we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to
accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

What should you do if you receive a letter like this?

The U.S. Secret Service has instructed anyone in the US who has lost funds
because of this scam to forward appropriate written documentation to:

U.S. Secret Service Financial Crimes Division 950 H Street, NW, Washington,
DC 20001. (202) 406-5850 Or send email using the Secret Service form or
direct to 419.fcd at usss.treas.gov

If you have received a letter, but have not lost any monies to this scheme,
please fax a copy of that letter to (202) 406-5031.

If you are outside the United States, you should report it to your local
authorities and send documention via fax to the U.S. Secret Service.

Be careful. This scam can be physically dangerous as well as dangerous to
your finances. Victims are almost always requested to travel to Nigeria or a
border country to complete a transaction. Victims are often told that a visa
will not be necessary to enter the country. The Nigerian scam artists may
then bribe airport officials to pass the victims through Immigration and
Customs. Because it is a serious offense in Nigeria to enter without a valid
visa, the victim's illegal entry may be used by the scam artists as leverage
to coerce the victims into releasing funds. Violence and threats of physical
harm may be employed to further pressure victims. In June of 1995, an
American was murdered in Lagos, Nigeria, while pursuing a 4-1-9 scam, and
numerous other foreign nationals have been reported as missing.

Recommendation:

Avoid these scams like the plague! Don't let promises of large amounts of
money impair your judgment.