odd caterpillar..

Elisa Collins jlygrnmigt at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:49:55 EDT 2001

wandering the forests of sortof western michigan, I found a caterpillar (on
a sugar maple- which they will eat, on a red oak, on a black cherry, and on
a pignut hickory) which was very fuzzy white with longer tufts of black
"hair" at the head and foot ends.  I captured 3 and plan on raising two and
preserving one as a larva, but i cannot figure out what they are.  If anyone
has seen these and can tell me something about them i.e. native/exotic,
length of life cycle, etc. it would be much appreciated.

thanks, elisa collins