Aricia icarioides and J.C. Downey

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Tue Sep 25 18:46:28 EDT 2001

Back in the 1960's Downey published some really interesting work on the
biology of the nominal species Aricia icarioides. Also placed in other
genera in the older literature but I am referring to that common blue
butterfly that normally swarms in lupine patches in the west part of USA and
SW Canada. Anyone have any citations that provide support for the taxonomic
arrangement that has been in place for the past 30 or more years ? I can't
find anything and field work this year makes me very suspicious of what I
see in the literature. did Downey ever publish anything on the taxonomy of
this group, other than what he wrote in Howe 1975 ? is there a thesis
somewhere on this topic ??

Norbert Kondla  P.Biol., RPBio.
Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management
845 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar, British Columbia V1N 1H3
Phone 250-365-8610
Mailto:Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca