Digital Camera Dilema

Koen Berwaerts koen.berwaerts at ua.ac.be
Thu Sep 27 03:46:56 EDT 2001

Hi,

We have some experience in digital photography. We use an Olympus Camedia digital
camera C-3030 zoom to make pictures of our (small) butterfly wings. Afterwards we
measure some morphological characters on these images with an image analysing
system (Optimas-software). If you want to measure colours or grey values, you have
to standardize your light conditions.
I'm afraid it is not easy to make reliable pictures in the field, just try and see
... .

With kind regards,
koen

Sean Patrick Mullen wrote:

> Hello everyone...perfectly dreary, and typical, day here in Ithaca, NY.
>
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has had success with digital photography?
>
> I'm planning to do some controlled crosses between phenotypically
> "pure" individuals of the Red-Spotted Admiral group.  I want to take
> digital images of the resulting wing color patterns so that I can use
> a computer program to analyze them.  Any suggestions?
>
> Ideally, I'd like to get a camera that could take nice pictures in
> the lab but also be useful for field photography but that may be
> asking too much.  Oh yeah, if I could get one for less that a grand
> it would be nice too!!!!
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> -Sean Mullen
>
> P.S. -To everyone on the list who sent me specimens over the
> summer...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  They have been invaluable
> as genetic samples.

Koen Berwaerts
Laboratory of Animal Ecology
Department of Biology
University of Antwerp (U.I.A.)
Universiteitsplein 1
B-2610 Wilrijk (Antwerp) - Belgium

Tel.: +32 3 820 22 93 - Fax.: +32 3 820 22 71
E-mail: koen.berwaerts at ua.ac.be
Http://bio-www.uia.ac.be/bio/deco/butterfly