Digital Camera Dilema - Depth of field - NOT

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 28 09:51:37 EDT 2001

Hi all -

    I am only jumping in here to dispel the depth of field myth - the
digital discussion is VERY fascinating.

    Depth of field is a mathematical constant for any lens system.  If you
take two lenses of different focal lengths (let's say a 50mm lens and a
500mm lens), set them at the same f/stop (let's say at f/8), and adjust the
subject size so that it (the butterfly) is EXACTLY the same size on the film
plane (let's say that it fills the frame from wingtip to wingtip), the depth
of field will be EXACTLY the same for both images.   Obviously, you will be
10 times farther away from the butterfly with the 500mm lens than you will
be with the 50mm lens, and your background will be foreshortened, but the
range of sharpness in front of and behind the center of focus (another way
to describe depth of field) will be identical.

    If this sounds weird, it did to me, too, some 30 years ago.  I took some
matchsticks stuck in  play-dough bases, positioned them on a tabletop, and
setup two cameras on tripods (literally the 50mm and 500mm lenses) and
monkeyed around with central focus points, and matchsticks both nearer and
farther from the focus point.   The depths of field were identical.

    My own messing around with digital cameras has been limited to field
work, but those of you shooting controlled setups should use a Kodak 18%
Gray Card either as a full background or positioned somewhere in the frame.
If the color balance varies between photo sessions (shooting with natural
light at two different times of the day will do it) at a later time, you
should be able to use your photoshop system to change the gray card tones to
the correct 18% gray, and the entire picture will now be correctly color
balanced.  Studio photographers use that system for matching colors between
different film emulsions, and the digital world is no different.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net