Digital Camera Dilema

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Thu Sep 27 18:29:56 EDT 2001

Folks,

Here`s my take on digital cameras ( I own a Canon EOS1N  35mm film camera BTW).

I`ve been looking at getting a digital because of the depth of field
(DOF)being nearly 4 times greater than a 35 mm camera. The reason for the
increased DOF is the small CCDs usually they are 1 1/8 inch CCDs.

Granted these 3.3 megapixel cameras like the Nikon Coolpix 990 or 995 and
Canon G1 can not come even close to the resolution of a 35 mm film camera.
At best I think you can get a 8 mb file from these digitals and  a 35
mm  slide you can get 25 mb files with a 2700 dpi film scanner and nearly
100 mb files with a 4000 dpi film scanner. In other words printed at 300
dpi (production quality work) the 8 mb digital file might if lucky print to
8 x 10 @330 dpi (not 72 dpi) where as a 100 mb file should print nicely to
20 x 24 @300 dpi which is actually 4 times larger.

If I was to buy a digital right now in the $1000 price range it would
either be the
Canon G2    3.92 megapixels priced at $900
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?cameras=canon_g2&method=sidebyside
  or the
  Nikon Coolpix 5000    4.92 megapixel priced at $1100
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?cameras=nikon_cp5000&method=sidebyside

The Nikon looks real nice but the Canon is sweet too and I have various
flashes already it could use too. I`m stalled on buying one because Canon
is just releasing a new SLR type digital the EOS D! 4.1 megapixel for $7000
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?cameras=canon_g2&method=sidebyside
and the awesome EOS D30 (SLR type)might drop from the $2800 a good bit when
pros trade up for the EOS D! to hopefully under $1300 then I would snatch
one up as my EOS lens could also be able to be used and at 1.6x there
normal size, in other words my 100 mm macro lens would become a 160mm macro
lens.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC

Randy Emmitt Photography