Digital Camera Dilema - Depth of field

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Sun Sep 30 11:12:31 EDT 2001

Very rarely does a subject come up on this list about which I know
something. This one I do, so here goes.

Depth of Field and Depth of Focus, although both f/ ratio dependent,
are not the same thing. Depth of focus is the range of focus over
which the image will have its maximum sharpness. At f/2 that is about
+/- .001" ranging up to +/- .005" at f/10. The smaller the depth of
focus the flatter the film has to held which is a problem with
increasingly large formats.

Depth of field is the distance over which the subject is in focus.

Depth of field does not change with focus. It either will be equally
good or equally bad over the same distance.

The paragraph below confusing. I ran this by a professional photographer
and fellow astrophotographer to get his take on it. Even though they
say "Depth of Focus", they really mean Depth of Field, which is the
modern terminology. Despite the comment about "equally sharp definition",
the 2" lens that produces an image 1/2 the size of the 4" lens cannot
possibly be as sharp when enlarged to match the size of the latter.
In addition, since this was written in 1939, they are talking about
photographic prints and the greater enlargement will be grainier than
the lesser enlargement. What is true is that the depth of field of
the 2" f/2 lens will be the same when the image is enlarged to match
the 4" f/4 image.

Personally, I view maintaing the depth of field as not much of an
advantage when compared to loss of resolution to the longer focal length
lens.

There's something else everyone should know about digital cameras. Most
of them use a single shot RGB CCD which means that there is not red, green
and blue data for each pixel. Instead they use a Bayer pattern of red, green
and blue filters over the pixels and interpolate the missing colors at
each pixel location. This means 2/3 of the data is interpolated. Although
the image looks good, there is some loss of resolution with this method.
Very high end digital cameras use a prism to split the light in 3 directions
and onto 3 three CCDs so there is true RGB data for the entire image.

Chuck Vaughn <aa6g at aa6g.org>