leps-l future

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:47:54 EST 2002

Leps listers,

Do not move the leps-list to Yahoo! Corporations have enough control over our
lives and minds. Do not give Yahoo, AOL, the Catholic Church or any other
organization censorship rights over your knowledge stream. Do it yourself, or
find the tools to do so. Even universities censor too much. Happily most
universities are hesitant to censor scientific and political speech, the most
vital kind for a free society. Do you want Exxon-Mobile deciding which
scientists are experts on global climate change? Times-Warner-Disney-Microsoft
deciding what is an appropriate email?

Most of the security problems on the web today are due to insecure software by
Microsoft and the monopoly status it strives to maintain. Since I collaborate
with others, I reluctantly use their software, but as Neil Jones has pointed
out, cheaper, better and more secure software is available from the Open
Software movement (including Linux, which I also use). In a few years much of
the international community will switch to such software and we in the USA will
spend our time whining about security problems.

As a scientist and citizen, I prefer to encourage the open exchange of ideas
and accept the inevitable inconvenience that most ideas are defective or
dangerous. Email lists such as the leps list should stay as open as possible.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu