Subject: RE: lepidopterists have anything to learn from ... birders ?

Todd Redhead todd.redhead at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 8 17:48:55 EDT 2002

Barb Beck wrote:

> I fully agree with the need to discourage trophy and unnecessary collection.
> In the past there has been some terrible cases of trophy collection by
> museums.  BUT there is a big difference between trophy collection and
> scientific collection.  They must realize the validity of the latter.

Hi Barb,

Can a non-scientist have a scientific collection?  If so, in your opinion, what
would be the requirements of such?  I am a non-scientist collector, and I have
the idea in my mind that I will learn through my collection and that my
collection has scientific value, if not today, maybe in the future.  What
constitutes "unnecessary collection"?

Todd

P.S. I'm not trying to bait you here - I really do want to know your (and
others) opinion.  BTW - I do appreciate what you've written regarding the
parallels between leps and birds.