Subject: RE: lepidopterists have anything to learn from ... b irders ?

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue Apr 9 07:49:43 EDT 2002

Any "collecting", which is not for profit, is "scientific". Why else would
anyone risk snakebite, blackflies, sinking to his waste in a bog
(alone....without anyone to assist him or to even hear him), ticks, heat,
falling off a cliff (almost happened to me in Colorado two years ago) etc.
for a BUG, unless it's science? Unless I'm selling, then I'm interested in
learning. Simple as that. It's this pseudoscientific group that barb wrote
about yesterday, that's been selling the idea to an ignorant public that
"scientific collecting" must be associated with collecting in association
with a museum or a university etc. Absolutely false...