Subject: RE: lepidopterists have anything to learn from ... b irders ?

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 9 09:10:55 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 12:49 pm, Grkovich, Alex wrote:
> Any "collecting", which is not for profit, is "scientific". Why else would
> anyone risk snakebite, blackflies, sinking to his waste in a bog
> (alone....without anyone to assist him or to even hear him), ticks, heat,
> falling off a cliff (almost happened to me in Colorado two years ago) etc.
> for a BUG, unless it's science?

No this isn't logical. There is an alternative explanation. They would do it
because they _enjoy_ doing it.

Unless I'm selling, then I'm interested in
> learning.

Yes, that may be the case for you but it isn't necessarily the case for
everybody.

 Simple as that. It's this pseudoscientific group that barb wrote
> about yesterday, that's been selling the idea to an ignorant public that
> "scientific collecting" must be associated with collecting in association
> with a museum or a university etc. Absolutely false...

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
NOTE NEW WEB ADDRESS
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
National Nature Reserve