help - I need leaves!!!

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 9 13:18:33 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 06:02 pm, Mike Soukup wrote:
> I have an EXTREMELY early batch of Actias larvae in first instar.  I had
> brought in a Sweetgum tree a month ago - and it leafed out nicely.
> Unfortunately, I had more ova than I though and these buggers have
> almost defoliated "my one tree".  I have given some larvae away and have
> also brought in another tree and taken alot of cuttings and have them
> indoors also - but, they will not be leafed out soon enough.  If there
> is anybody from down South who could ship me a BIG box of sweetgum
> overnite, I would gladly pay for the shipping and handling  (I'll even
> send you leaves back in another month!!) .  If not, I am going to have
> to drive to NC within the next few days.
>
>     And, in case nobody can help with the shipment, can anybody at least
> tell me how far south I will need to drive before the Sweetgums have
> leaves???
>
>     You can reply off-list.

Oops. Looks as if you're up a creek without a paddle. :-)

I am replying to everyone since this may help.
This may help people in general with  the timing of things.
It will only apply to the USA I  fear.

Hopkin's Law of Bioclimatics will perhaps give a hint as to how far you have
to travel.
http://kck.kancrn.org/phenology/cbackground.cfm

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/