Subject: RE: lepidopterists have anything to learn from ... birders ?

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Apr 9 14:17:28 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Taylor" <drivingiron at earthlink.net>
To: <idleweed at tusco.net>; <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: Subject: RE: lepidopterists have anything to learn from ...
birders ?

> I have donated (and donate) to the Florida State Collection of
Arthropods,
> and I intend my collection to go there when I croak. I think John Heppner
is
> eager to get leps from different parts of the country.
>
> Jim Taylor

This is very true.  However, if they are moths they are apt to get a lot
better curatorial care than butterflies there.   I know space is very used
up there - but the way valuable _butterfly_ collections donated years ago
(Arbogast, Heitzman etc) are just stacked it the isles in cardboard boxes
waiting to be crushed or knocked over is a disgrace.  John is not a
butterfly person -- and it shows.

HE IS ONE FINE FELLA - This is about curation and space - not John.

Some museums are not keen on receiving specimens only because the Museums
have cut way back on staff, budget and no more space in the morgue.
Otherwise they will never turn down specimens -  these "scientific"
instructions are the greatest collectors of ALL TIME.  Where else can one
go and find 10 drawers of Cabbage Whites.  Does one want to see extinct
leps?   They are in the Big museums by the hundreds.  Scientific
collecting?   Most people with a postage stamp-butterfly-collection make
due with just one or two pair.  I digress.

OK, I'll say it.  The most adamant and game hog collectors are with
museums.  Hey, they are the ones still shooting the birds.  They love it --
that is why they are there.  They are not some noble cut above the "lay"
collector. Myth.  Go to a museum and get to know the people - they are up
to their necks in dead stuff.

Ron