New to list and to Lepidoptera

Holly D Tunning Canfield hdt at runewolf.net
Sat Apr 13 21:27:25 EDT 2002

I'm new to the list and to lepidoptera ... I was birding this weekend and
came across a butterfly or moth that I cannot find a pic of to be able to
id it at either enature.com or the North Prarie site.

It was less than an inch long ... had a "hairy" black body, had black wings
with 1 yellow spot on each "back wing"  and 1 orange spot on each "front
wing" (ok, it's very evident how new I am at this!)  This was lakeside in
north central West Virginia, at about 4:00 pm on a very sunny, warm day.
This little guy lit on my hands and walked around for several minutes
before I had to coax him off onto a plant.

And help, suggestions or references to good url's, books etc would be
appreciated.  Since I'm going to be out birding I want to learn what all
the butterflies and such I see are.
Holly D Tunning Canfield     hdt at runewolf.net
"Save time... see it my way."

"When we talk to God it's called prayer. When God talks back it's called
schizophrenia."

"Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"