population explosion scare implodes

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Sun Apr 28 00:59:30 EDT 2002

There is one problem with the logic in this reasoning that we are
underpopulated. The critic of the article is confounding population
_size_ with age _distribution_. The two are distinctly different things,
although I grant you an aged population will have fewer offspring. What
the critic in the article appears to be proposing is that the solution
to providing services for the aged, a social consideration or
humananistic value, is to _overpopulate_ even more. What nonsense. I
completely agree with Paul that technological advances will resolve the
problem of providing for the aged without encouraging even more
overpopulation. The facts are simple. We cannot have full species
diversity and _natural_ evolution in a human made garden (defined in a
very general sense) because plundering the land for all kinds of human
activity, such as increasing food production as Paul has so kindly
pointed out below, is indeed turning the earth into a kind of 'garden'.
Stan