Confusion with Common Names.

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 22:49:48 EDT 2002

I would apologize for this post, but being the fine upstanding individual
that I should be, I will post this anyways. If you find my posts offensive,
then delete now.

I will admit as I get older, my brain seems to get slower and from time to
time, I miss some things. (There are those on this lists that have the same
conditions, but I believe the brain malfunctions or stops working properly
altogether, or it may have never worked properly to begin with.) I have
always been told that the reason certain organizations wanted COMMON NAMES
was primarily due to the ever changing scientific names, more or less (Ron is
a tremendous help in this matter, from either point of view!). I have counted
37 posts in the last two weeks dealing with the confusion of ever changing
COMMON NAMES.

Next we will have the Convention of the Code of Common Names! This will
eliminate the confusion in assigning common names. I can see it now:

Cercyonis pegala abbotti F.M. Brown (1969), the common name equivalent would
be:
The Yellow Spotted Feces Sucking Wood Nymph J. Glassberg (2002). You know
what I mean!!!

Wait a minute, speaking of sucking, maybe it should be called the Monica Wood
Nymph W.J. Clinton (1999).

I feel better now?

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn