Vanessa at night - migrations

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Sun Feb 3 16:13:27 EST 2002

Eddie John wrote:

> For example, do they accept the ability of V. cardui to
> cross large stretches of open water i.e. distances that
> require at least part of the migration to be undertaken
> at night?

Yes, there are those of us who are unconvinced Vanessa
butterflies are functionally capable of migration one hour
or more after sunset or one hour or more before sunrise.

> Large numbers of incoming cardui were
> seen, in full migratory flight, heading northwards from the south coast of
> Cyprus from early in the morning, on several successive mornings.

Yes, we agree cardui actively begins migrating about 15-30 minutes
before sunrise. I have witnessed this first hand during Painted Lady
migrations in California. I have seen Painted Ladies vibrating their
wings about 15 minutes before sunrise, getting ready for take off.

> There had been NO build up of numbers on any of the previous
> evenings, so they had not already arrived in daylight hours the
> previous evening - the bulk of the migration for that day having
> already passed through.

This is not how the Painted Lady migration works in California
and Arizona. The migration keeps going from dawn to dusk, day
after day.

Cyprus is a big island - about 90 miles wide (150 kilometers).
http://www.mindspring.com/~cherubini/cyprus.jpg
Were any human observers stationed at the southern tips or beaches
of the island so that they could witness the incoming Painted Ladies arriving
from the south out over the open water (Mediterranean sea)
at dawn?  Did anyone take any pictures or video of this fantastic
phenomenon?

Dr. Adrian Wenner, an insect behaviorist, has a slogan of sorts I like
"fantastic claims require fantastic evidence".

Paul Cherubini
Placerville, California