Vanessa at night - migrations

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Feb 4 20:15:17 EST 2002

I have seen "clouds" of Vanessa cardui that make normal rain clouds look
transparent.  I rather like the confetti analogy - only imagine the downpour
occurring relentlessly from an infinite source.  Not even Alfred Hitchcock
in his wildest imagination could have reconstructed such an image.  I'm with
Patrick - who cares whether the bugs normally fly at night.  The question
is:  are there ever any conditions that would result in such an activity.
The evidence presented here so far is quite satisfactory, IMO.  It can
happen.

Mark Walker.