Night vision binoculars

James Kruse fnjjk1 at uaf.edu
Tue Feb 5 13:17:13 EST 2002

on 2/4/02 3:53 PM, Michael Gochfeld at gochfeld at EOHSI.RUTGERS.EDU wrote:

> I doubt that night vision binoculars (or even night vision scopes) would be
> very useful in determining the amount of butterflies flying at night.
 (snip)
> I can't imagine using them to pick out single butterflies on the wing, unless
> the migration were really heavy.

The new generation night vision devices CAN pick out objects as small as
Vanessa spp., especially with active IR, but you are unlikely to be able to
identify the species. I mentioned that they would be the most useful where
you could set up a station monitoring a section of dirt road where
butterflies have been crossing during an active migration.

Of greater concern, however, is that third generation+ night vision devices
are much more expensive than what most people care to part with for such a
limited use item. The newest ones are well over U.S. $10,000.

Jim

James J. Kruse, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum