Glassberg's public statement on collecting.

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue Feb 5 13:23:04 EST 2002

I think you're wroing. I think there's plenty of evidence of it. And look at
the three books: The anti-collector tone is worse and worse, and more and
mroe offensive, from the first toward the last. The first book really didn't
particularly offend me, at least not as far as the author's writings were
concerned. (What was written by the two scientists that did the
Introductions, that's another matter. These writings were extremely
offensive, at least to me. I STILL am waiting for someone to explain to me
what it is that an ant scientist, for example, has to say about collecting
butterflies and about the study of Lepidoptera. But what the heck,
bird-watchers, gardeners, photographers, plant conservationists, botanists,
bored and/or lonely soccer moms, everyone's got something to say about the
subject, don't they? And somehow they're ALL opposed to butterfly
collecting. Who's working on their minds?)

And they are trying to ban it, no doubt in my mind. In a sinister and covert
sort of way: One way is very simple: By getting species after species
"listed", state by state. Long state hearings don't stop these people; many
of them don't work or have full time jobs anyway. Do they?

Of course, whether they CAN or not, that's another matter. There seems to be
plenty of opposition, doesn't there?