Glassberg's public statement on collecting.

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Tue Feb 5 17:28:49 EST 2002

Alex and all,

Your attack on E O Wilson (who wrote the foreword to Glassberg's 1993
Butterflies through Binoculars) does not measure up to the paranoid standards we
expect from this list.

The ant man Wilson, (also author of Sociobiology, Consilience, Biodiversity and
about 100 other books) does have something to say about butterflies. He and St.
Robert MacArthur (as he was known among ecology graduate students back in the
day) _stole_ Island Biogeography from a Lepidopterist, Eugene Munroe who
invented it to get a doctorate at Cornell in 1948 on the biogeography of
Caribbean butterflies (see J. Brown and M. Lomolino 1989.Ecology 70: 1954-1957).
Wilson and MacArthur went on to organize the evolutionary ecological movement
that is now taking our guns, traps and nets from us. Munroe fell back on
Pyralids. And Lepidoptery failed to hold on to the biggest intellectual catch
since Clement's organismal-community and Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis, theories
that
EVEN NOW ARE USED BY BAMBIFICATORS TO TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHT TO KILL!!!!

Luckily there is an attempt by Metapopulation ecologists, led by Lepidopterists
under Ilkka Hanski (who has also trapped mammals!!!) to subsume island
biogeography under metapopulation ecology, thus recapturing the flag. LONG MAY
IT WAVE!!!

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu