Clouds of "Monarchs" and other fakery

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Thu Feb 7 13:36:58 EST 2002

I may have you beat John,
I bought a small address/phone book that is made with Costa Rica
Banana paper mixed with recycled paper.  On the front is a picture of
one of those large, tan-colored Amathusids with dark brown diamond
shaped spots along the wing margins from India or somewhere, and
feeding at a Camelia flower (I've never seen anything feed at one of
those).  The caption below it says "Monarch butterfly".  I laughed
and had to get it.
:-)  Rich

>Along this line - my wife ordered "Butterfly" checks thinking that I'd like
>them - four different butterfly checks, two of which are miss- identified
>(Giant swallowtail called a tiger, and an American painted lady IDed as a
>"Cosmopolitan").  They are very tasteful checks, but I always wonder about
>passing "bad checks" when I use them.
>
>John

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture