Endangered species act

David Smith idleweed at tusco.net
Fri Feb 8 07:25:26 EST 2002

Hello all,
    I am interested in moths, especially micros. I frequently catch and kill
moths that I do not know what species they are. What if one is an endangered
species? What do I do with it? Should I destroy it so as not to be
prosecuted? Could I turn it over to a museum?
    What about people who use insect traps of various kinds? Are they liable
if they kill an endangered species?
    Maybe these examples would be considered accidental. If someone who
doesn't know an ant from a butterfly stomps an endangered species on purpose
because they don't like bugs can they go to jail?
    Just curious as I truly do not know.
        David Smith