Endangered species act

Jere Kahanpaa kahanpaa at gstar.astro.helsinki.fi
Fri Feb 8 08:28:53 EST 2002

Hi.

David Smith <idleweed at tusco.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I am interested in moths, especially micros. I frequently catch and kill
> moths that I do not know what species they are. What if one is an endangered
> species? What do I do with it? Should I destroy it so as not to be
> prosecuted? Could I turn it over to a museum?
>     What about people who use insect traps of various kinds? Are they liable
> if they kill an endangered species?
>     Maybe these examples would be considered accidental. If someone who
> doesn't know an ant from a butterfly stomps an endangered species on purpose
> because they don't like bugs can they go to jail?
>     Just curious as I truly do not know.

I've never caught an unexpected protected lep, but as it is an obvious possibility
in any extended trapping scheme or when collecting in regions with endangered
difficult micromoths such as Coleophorids. Whether the killing is accidental or not
doesn't matter (as least according to Finnish law). The recommended but unofficial
procedure here is:

0. Do your homework. Be aware of all endangered species that could be caught
at your site with the methods you use and keep looking for them.

1. Donate all protected specimens to a museum. Be sure to label it properly and
include a label with the reason/method of capture.

2. Ensure that no additional specimens are harmed: Move your traps. Learn to
identify the species in field if possible and stop taking any specimens that could
be confused with the protected species.

3, Write an extensive raport: what was catched, how did you catch it, where & when
and what have you done to stop further damage to the species. Send the raport to
the museum and possibly to other authorities. At least in Finland the
Enviromental Center has a standard 'contact form' used for raporting
observations of endangered species.

4. If at all possible, try to do some extra study on the species where you caught
it: map the population and try to estimate it's size; make observations of habits
and biotype.

Following these rules is, of course, not a 100% sure way to avoid prosecution but I
cannot think of a better defence. Destroying all evidence would probably also work,
but personally I would consider destroying endangered micro observation notes
a worse crime than killing the moth! Documenting and raporting your work is the
best alibi against unjustified prosecution.

Personally I've collected a few specimens of a species protected by law in Finland
(Hypodryas maturna) by taking dead and dry leps from spider nets :-)

Criminally Yours,

	Jere Kahanpää
--
It's hard to think outside the box when you ARE the box.
                            - unknown, alt.religion.kibology