[leps-talk] Why aren't Mexico's overwintering monarchs in the news yet this winter?

Johnson, Kurt JohnsonK at Coudert.com
Tue Feb 12 16:13:55 EST 2002

I have no problem with individual gripes against individual workers; they
will need to defend their own positions and I can't be responsible IF they
resort to hyperbole.  However, it still doesn't add up-- 35% increase in the
Monarch's returning to Mexico from a bumper year of good breeding weather up
north, still does not solve the problem of a circa 50% loss of available
forest land for overwintering in Mexico (esp. if there is not a wide
spectrum of ability for overwintering groups their to "shift" to alternative
Oyamel stands locally etc.) over the longer period.  Are you suggesting that
the maps showing this historical decline are ficticious?  The same
situations plays re: the Karner Blue at the Albany preserves-- the maps of
the longer term shrinkage of available habitat over the years-- and the
declination of those preserve population to as low as 500 individuals etc.
So, I guess I don't get the connection between the "good" bumper years up
north and the loss of available roosting habitat, not to mention the
thinning therein, vis-a-vis the freezing of individual Monarchs.  No one
denies that these storms have gone on for millenia; and no one denies that
current data of temperature gradients and thinning cannot easily be
"extrapolated" backwards into time as a crystal ball.    But, I suppose, to
be fair to Paul, there is hyperbole on both sides.  I can suppose, IF we
suppose, we might not have been able to save the vast migrating species of
North America (Passenger Pigeons, Carolina Parakeets, Bison etc.) but we
might have stopped it somewhere at midstream if sociological realities had
been different.  I mean we still haven't solve the legal problem of having
taken the Black Hills away from the Sioux illegally etc. at that same time
period (they rejected the settlement set down by the Supreme Court awhile
back, etc).  Of course, some argue that extinction doesn't matter anyway
since it has gone on for millenia as well.  I suppose at some point one has
to find an anchor, point of reference, point of entry etc.  Luckily in a
democracy (slightly in quotes, depending on how much money you have) we can
be free to throw some hyperbole around.  So, enough for this contribution.

KURT