[leps-talk] The Bt debate--take a cautious view

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 13 12:27:19 EST 2002

At 06:46 AM 2/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>I have other reasons besides Monarchs to be skeptical about the
>introduction of
>Bt into corn.
>This might just turn out to be a quick way of developing widespread resistance
>to Bt.
>Monarchs are probably a side issue.

I found out this year that I can no longer drink US-made Coke or other soft
drinks or eat US-made candy without breaking out in serious hives.
Consuming Mexican Coke or foreign soft drinks like Antarctica Guarana does
not do this. This used not to be so. What is new? The commonest US sweetner
is corn syrup. Most other countries use cane syrup or beet syrup. ADM seems
to control most if not all of the production and marketing of US corn
syrup. ADM is involved in the improvement of crops by genetic engineering.
Have they recently changed the feedstock for the production of cane syrup?
There is nothing on the labelling of our foods that would indicate this.
Probably this has nothing to do with BT corn, but who knows? Remember those
Scottish rats that ate the Snowdrop-potatoes.
      Just a grass roots observation.
..............Chris Durden