species name vs genus name

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 25 06:21:59 EST 2002

Ron is correct.

When we did our analysis of name stability starting with the 1890's, the
species part of the name was unchanged MUCH more often than the genus.

But the scientific name of a species comprises both (blame it on Linnaeus).

In fact, my botany professor hammered into me that it was INCORRECT to refer to
a species solely by the species epithet.  If I was lazy or repeating the
reference I still had to write at least P. cresophontes.  (Of course plant
people are different and play by different rules).

Ron also wrote:  "Because I myself do not have any association between common
names and
genera names I see all common names as species level specific."    I think this
is essentially correct, although attempts are being made to ascribe some parts
of a common name to the genus level, particularly for tropical species, few of
which have English names. . I don't know whether that is feasible or will catch
on. But it seems like a good idea.  Personally, I favor at least considering
the genus name as part of the common name.  But then what happens when the
genus gets revised and the generic designation changes.

Mike Gochfeld