automobile traffic and leps!

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Mon Feb 25 09:50:26 EST 2002

I want to put Andy's comment in perspective with collecting.  Ohio is
probably typical of Midwestern states in collecting intensity - in fact it
is probably on the high end.  Ohio is also unique in that we have a real
handle on almost all butterfly collections that contain Ohio material
(thanks to a near obsessive thing for "dots" that Dave Iftner developed when
he lived there).  When we published the "Butterflies and Skippers of Ohio"
we had an estimated 90% of the records for the state in hand - and that
totaled close to 25,000 records collected mostly since the 1950's -
(probably about 25 - 50% more actual specimens were involved in this - a
record could be composed of multiple specimens collected at the same site ,
date and collector).

Put this in context of an estimated half million monarchs killed in one week
on Illinois highways.

But, in the spirit of "nothing is black and white",  I doubt if too many
Karners are killed by cars each year, and can only think of a couple of
sites where this is even a possibility for Mitchell's satyr.  I doubt if
cars contribute significantly to the decline  of many highly localized
species.

But, again in the spirit of dwelling in the gray.  Cars have been documented
at a couple of sites as the primary "non-natural" source of mortality for
the federally listed Hine's emerald dragonfly.  But two things contribute to
this - major highways cut right through habitats, and then the stupid little
critters see the highway pavement as some sort of "asphalt river" and the
forage up and down the interstate like they would open water.  Foraging
dragonflies and cars don't mix.

John

John A. Shuey
Director of Conservation Science
Indiana Office of The Nature Conservancy
1505 N Delaware Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202
317.951.8818