FW: Federal listings done by common names?

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:59:09 EST 2002

	I can't vouch for the accuracy of this--but I have been told that
when you turn in Form 3-177 when importing specimens into the US, the forms
or copies are sent to Washington DC, where people sit at keyboards and
enter the data into a master database, _using the common names_. Since
there are not universally agreed upon common names for many species of
butterflies, that must be an interesting database!

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu