FW: Federal listings done by common names?

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Feb 28 16:13:34 EST 2002

Some years ago Dick Banks of the USNM compiled books summarizing the
bird import data base.  It was, indeed, a very interesting data base.
I'll check to see if it was based on common or scientific names.  Many
non-existent species (by any name) were included. Most importantly, the
smuggling would be accomplished by simply mis-naming a bird (doesn't
matter what name you use then), or by putting one rare bird in a cage
with common ones.

Michael Gochfeld