Non leps post - I am a Quaker

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Jan 4 15:45:14 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Jones" <Neil at NWJONES.DEMON.CO.UK>
To: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: Quote without (much) comment

snipes

.........but I can certainly see why you left the Quakers!

_______________________

Actually, the last I knew, I am still on the membeship roles of the
Buffalo, Iowa Friends (Quaker) church.  (I have never asked to be removed
and am thus still technically a Quaker.)  Some segments of Quakerism did
become reclusive -- but no Quakers ever stopped being activists.  During
Viet Nam war the American Friends Service Committee was one of the main
"troublemakers" in the anti-war movement.  The reason we are asked in
American court by the judge if we "sware or affirm" is due to WE lowly
Quakers who refused to "sware" and were locked up in droves until the US
government changed its laws and "swearing in" statement in the courts.
Even the wearing of black clothing by some Quakers began as a protest to
the fashion industry in that day.  So while I have "moved" to a more
Pentecostal persuasion I certainly still proudly hold many Quaker tenants -
my ornery anti-establishment bents come directly from being brought up as a
nonconformist non-respecter of English kings Quaker!   So, I am a Quaker in
more ways then not.

Cheers
Ronnie G