Neil Jones' responses

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Mon Jan 7 09:30:56 EST 2002

Chris J. Durden wrote:

> Thank you Felix Sperling for a response to Neil Jones, that I think a
> lot of the rest of us will agree with. I cherish both virgin old-growth
> vegetation and virgin successional vegetation, they are home to
> different sets of equally valuable animal species. There is just more
> diversity in the successional species set. Neither Rush nor Neil seem
> right on this one.
> .................Chris Durden

Neil is in great distress, watching the little beautiful places around
him die, replaced with urban and suburban squalor, non-native weeds
(Buddleja, for godsake) that have muscled their way in and crowded out
the choice little natives. He is watching the loss of some species,
replaced by others more common, more easily supported by a wholesale
environment.

I, too, am in distress. I am watching all this happen in Ireland, as
well as in South Florida, and there is no euphoric that will effectively
suppress my horror, pain, rage and guilt. I am equally distressed at the
huge supermarket that has been built in Westport, Mayo, Ireland,
replacing my favorite little hardware stores, one of which was good on
tools; the other paint, and lessons on how to use the tools.
The fellow who smokes his own salmon is hanging on by an eyelash, he's
only there sometimes, in his tiny shop, and it's easier to buy my smoked
salmon from the supermarket, so I do that. This is a sin and I do it
knowingly, just as I drop the jam jar into the trash instead of rinsing
it and putting it into the recycling. It is a sin, and I am sorry for it.

It is one thing to sin secretly and to repent. It is another to claim
that sin is a virtuous act, and to recommend it to the innocent who come
asking.

There is, we are promised, a special hell for people who falsify
results, lead people astray, poison the babies' milk with formaldehyde
and claim it's a health benefit ...

  It is not the province of this list to assign people, whether
subscribing to this list or not, to that special hell. But please,
understand our pain when we see someone weighing short-term personal
gain against long-term general good ...

There was a fellow a while ago, on this list, who explained that we are
not really losing species for, although some go extinct, we are
continually creating more species ... yes, folks, all those special dogs
and cats and sheep can make up to us for the flower fly and the snail
darter. (Neil didn't like him, either, as I recall.)

The leopard does not change his spots nor the Ethiopian his skin. Paul
Cherubini will continue to tout DDT and sing the praises of eucalyptus;
Ron Gatrelle will continue to toss his hat in the ring, Mark will quote
inflammatory sections of the Bible (but takes us along on wonderful road
trips); Ken Philip will continue to provide the voice of reason when he
can't stand it another minute, Chris Durden will provide balance ...
Balance, that's the word I was looking for.

But we all meet in that bloody ground where we shop at the supermarket
and mourn Vincent Bourke's shop, so soon to go under.
Few of us are comforted for the loss of the Xerces blue, by the fact
that the exotic eucalyptus is just the place for the Monarch to roost.

It is perhaps as well that we have among us at least one voice that
defends and praises change, because after all, change is what we are are
about, we human beings, and perhaps it is as well to take an honest look
at it.

Like it or not, the train has left the station, and somebody here had
better learn how to drive. This sucker is a space ship, changes are
taking place, and the matter at hand is that we must decide what we're
taking with us, whether we're headed for Mall World tunneled into a
snowball, or learning to control the planet's weather. Because anything
we don't pack, it ain't going.

On a trip like this, we need Paul, if only because he makes the
scientists take the time to pause and explain to the rest of us why he
is so disastrously wrong. Or, occasionally, actually quite right.

We also need Neil, but Neil, Neil, you promised, keep it to your web
page, just refer people there. I was around when He Who May Not Be Named
was posting to this list, as part of his Community Service after his
conviction ... and let's just leave it on the archives, please, we don't
want to hear it all again.

As part of my plan for Mall World, I'll be needing all those breeders to
produce suitable butterflies for the plazas. What an opportunity to save
all the other species as well?
Let's not need to do that. But let us not eliminate the part of the
population that will be able to do that, if need arises.
Peace
Anne Kilmer
South Florida